This week’s guest blog comes from our Explorer Emma and her adorable pooch Inka who came up with this month’s #Pawgust Photo Challenge. To celebrate the start of the Pawgust photo challenge, they’ve put together a bucket list to offering plenty of inspiration for you and the pooch to enjoy.
Get Involved with the Pawgust Photo Challenge
Hiya, I’m Emma and this is my pooch Inka!
Meet Inka! She’s a 2-year-old black labrador who we have been so lucky to have had 2 lovely years with so far. Inka has been nothing but incredible and has totally changed my life. She chose us definitely, wandering over and putting her teenie little paws on my partner’s knees…and so we fell in love.
I’m Emma, Inkas mum, PA, chief belly scratcher, treat giver, brain trainer, fur washer, wardrobe supplier and all round crazy dog lady!
It’s that time of year again where the sun’s shining, school’s out and there’s adventures to be had. I am super lucky to get the 6 weeks summer holidays off, as I work in a school and this year I wanted the summer break to be different. The reason being, last year I didn’t really plan anything, ended up moping around, mental health was at an all time low and only really going out to walk Inks…I felt like I had totally wasted the time off.
So this year I want to set myself some goals, a bucket list and have also created the #PawgustPhotoChallenge. The idea behind this being to motivate myself to make the most of this 6 weeks off, go on adventures and really enjoy/explore the outdoors, in the process improving my mental health I hope to motivate others to do the same, so, Inkas summer bucket list and the Pawgust challenge were created.
Paws for Pride is also within the Pawgust Summer Challenge, from the lovely Luke and @lucyinvestigates! It runs from the 19th-25th, it’s a different colour for each days photo, all to show our support for Pride and the LGBTQ+ community! I’m hoping you guys will be inspired to make your own!
As Inka’s the boss she has got the reigns on creating our bucket list this time.
Time to hand over to Inks
So guys, mums told me I get a massive 6 weeks of with her at home, how cool is that?! She’s also told me that we are doing something called a summer fun list at least I think that’s what it was called…? All I heard was “do I want to do fun things this summer” and as I’m in charge of the family I get to write it! I want to encourage you to write your own (or demand the humans write one for you) because it sounds super fun! Mummy says the outdoors is so good for the humans mental health so they have got to make the most of it. Mum really suffers with her own mental health after being quite sick 2 years ago, before I came home…so I have promised her this will help.
- Do something every week that is spontaneous/ a last minute plan
- Visit somewhere Dog Friendly at least twice a week (make sure to let everyone knows where we’ve been!)
- Dad has made us a challenge jar, use it once a week, he’s written some surprise adventures for us (we’ll be updating as we go)!
- Have a pool party!
- Have doggie play dates once a week (I have to keep up with my busy social life after all)
- Go for ice cream but don’t forget mine!
- Have a swim, in the sea, in the river, anywhere!
- Go to the beach with a picnic
- Above all, smile, have fun and adventures await
View this post on Instagram
Top Tips For Keeping Cool
Make sure to keep cool and keep safe during the summer break furiends! I’ve got a quick list of top tips on how to stay cool:
- Go for a short walk early in the morning or late in the evening, so it has cooled down enough outside for your doggo.
- Avoid car journeys unless early on or late evening, or four legged pals get much warmer much quicker than we do.
- Freeze all sorts of treats, frozen treats last longer and will really help to cool your doggo down. Some examples, carrots, licki mats, kongs, blueberries with water in ice trays for a fun frozen snack.
- Make sure fresh water is topped up throughout the day.
- Cooling bandanas, mats and coats are a brilliant way of keeping your pooch nice and cool over a longer period of time.
Emma here, I really hope you’ve enjoyed our summer bucket list blog and have been inspired to do your own! If you do, let me know about it, I would love to see what goals you’re setting yourselves this summer. I wanted to give a big thank you to Eliana, my mentor. For being super helpful when I messaged you saying I wanted to do some sort of summer challenge and wasn’t sure where to start, a photo challenge is just perfect! Adventure Awaits, have fun and explore,
Emma and Inka
View this post on Instagram