Tips on Becoming A Single Dog Parent
Teach your dog these important words. It helps A LOT!
- NO! This is super important as he needs to know when he doing something/ easting something he shouldn’t be.
- STAY! This is crucial unless you want to spend hours of your day chasing him around the dinning table with his harness and lead or when he has a pair of your pants from the washing line in his mouth in front of your neighbours (it becomes a game that they enjoy a little too much).
- WEEWEE (or wee or pee) This is also important when you have finally toilet trained him unless you want to spend most of your evening stood in the rain whilst he looks at you stubbornly.
- QUIET! This helps prevent the barking as much as it can. We are still learning this currently, he has not quite mastered it.
- Kisses– this is for a bit of self-love. Sometimes after a stressful day at work I want to come home to some cuddles. However, your pooch can have a different idea, Angus is more interested in trying to wrestle off my sock or pull my hair out of its bun. So, I taught him kisses and now when I say it, he stops what he’s doing and gives me a good 20 seconds of fuss before returning to my socks.
- STOP! This was an important one for us as we live near a busy road so when we are walking, I always get him to stop before we cross so he doesn’t pull away from me into the road or if he’s off lead run into the road. This only works if there are no squirrels or other dogs in sight so we are mostly on lead at all times.
Things to remember
- Your dog IS and WILL remain to be the boss no matter what you tell yourself.
- Your happiness will improve 100%- Your dog will always be happy to see you and love you unconditionally. Your favourite time of day will be coming home from work to him greeting you.
- You will lose your bed. It took just one night of Angus being poorly and me letting him sleep next to me and there was no going back, he even has his own side of the bed!
- There is no such thing as a bad day with a dog. No matter my mood, no matter what happened at work or who has upset me he never fails to make me laugh and smile every day. If I ever cry he brings me a toy and we have a cuddle.
- You will have a bodyguard- No matter how small your dog is he will protect you, they sense when you are not comfortable around someone and ward off strangers.
- 99% of your camera roll is taken up by pictures and videos of your dog.
- You will do everything you can with your dog and your social life will be planned around him/her.
- You will sing and dance with your dog and he wont judge you he will just love you for it
- Your dating profile includes and mentions your dog several times and you will only swipe right for people who like dogs.
- Your parents come to the realisation that this maybe their only chance at being grandparents and are known to your dog as nannie and pops
- You will get separation anxiety when you are at work and wish you could text or talk to them. So you set up a puppy cam, just to make sure they are ok and not to just stare at your dog and watch him all through your lunch break, honest!
- Your friends that have cats will no longer invite you around
- When your friends spend 3 hours talking about their kids you will keep interrupting them and refer to your dog. (IT IS THE SAME THING EVEN IF YOUR CHILD HAS FUR AND CAN’T TALK).
- Netflix and chill has a whole different meaning and actually means cuddling up with your dog in matching pjs watching a Disney film.
Having Angus has helped me in so many ways, my anxiety has improved, my happiness has improved and he gets me out of the house and I enjoy our time together. It was hard for me to get out at first but once I started living the Dog Furiendly moto ‘if I can’t bring my dog I’m not coming” my friends started accommodating for the both of us. After all they bring their children so why can’t I bring my furry child? I meet lots of new people and we have the best adventures together. I am very grateful that he came into my life and in my opinion, who needs a man when you can have a dog?! 😊.